Traveling solo shows you your limit and pushes more farther away including fun and excitement. But if you are traveling for the first time, all by yourself, nothing beats good preparation and an organized list to sort you out with all your troubles.
The first and foremost thing to remember as a first-time traveler is not to stress too much about anything. Even though it might feel like a scary experience initially, believe it that once you do it, there is nothing more liberating and happy than being on your own, and discovering a new place. It’s an experience that needs to be felt at least once in your life and then many times after.
So don’t fret, because here we present a few tips and hacks you could follow if you are a first-time traveler which might help you smooth your travel while calming your nerves.
Before You Travel
- Do well-read research about the places you are going to visit
- Install Google Maps and other apps that might be helpful
- Purchase good travel insurance
- Prepare your budget for the trip and try and stick to it. Buy a journal where you can keep a tab of all your expenses. You can also do that on your phone.
- Go to your doctor and see if you need any shots before you travel
- Research the local customs formalities and prepare yourself accordingly
- Have a flexible itinerary. If things do not according to your plan, don’t panic. Adjust your travels in between because something will mess up
- Make sure your debit/credit cards work internationally. If they didn’t, buy an international credit card
- Make sure your friends and family are aware of your travel itinerary
- Invest in a good phone or camera
- Buy a good selfie stick for good pictures
- Book your hotels and hostels well in advance. Make sure they offer a Wi-Fi facility.
- If you are into reading, invest in an e-reader or Kindle. Makes your trip interesting and you don’t have to carry so many books.
- Prepare your travel playlist.
- Exercise before you fly. It helps with the flying jitters.
- Research your seat in advance
- Have all the pictures of your important documents saved on your phone.
At the Time of Packing Your Travel Bags
- Make a list of all the things you need. Organize yourself
- Buy good luggage bags
- Have a specific tag or ribbon to identify your baggage
- Pack according to the weather of the destination you are visiting
- Comfortable clothes and shoes are a must
- Roll your clothes instead of folding them. It takes less space and a lot of it can be accommodated. You can also check out the packing videos which help you with great packing hacks.
- Place a dry sheet in your suitcase. It makes your clothes smell fresh all the time.
- Prescription medication needs to have a doctor’s note. So don’t forget to pack that.
- Carry a first aid kit in case you need to use it during your travel
- Don’t forget to pack your adapters and chargers
- Pack Essential toiletries properly so that you don’t witness any accidents
- Check the weight allowed to carry and make sure you stick with it
- Make sure you get the photocopies of your essential documents and keep it inside your bag as well.
- Have a separate small bag where you can keep your passport and other important documents
- Pack your carry-on bag according to rules and regulations and don’t carry anything you can’t take inside the flight. Also don’t over-pack.
- Carry an empty water bottle so that you can use it throughout your travel.
- Keep your chargers and power bank in your carry-on.
- Safeguard your gadgets properly so that it doesn’t get ruined or broken while traveling
- You can hide your wine bottles in your shoes which prevents them from breaking and spilling in your luggage.
- You can use shower caps to keep your shoes so that they don’t dirty your clothes
- Have your emergency money hidden properly in your suitcase. Maybe find a lip balm case of shoes to hide them.
- Keep a jacket handy in case of any weather changes during the flight or once you reach the destination.
Things You Must Pack:
- A great carry-on comfortable bag
- Your phone, charger, portable charger
- Tablet or Laptop
- A diary and a pen and pencil
- Approved toiletries bag
- Travel bottle
- Foldable totes for shopping
At the Time of Flying
- Reach the airport well in advance
- Check-in online if the facility is available
- Go to the farthest left security checkout point. It is shown in research that it is the one with less rush of people since most people choose the right one.
- Wear comfortable clothes and shoes
- Stay hydrated
- Don’t drink alcohol
- Make sure to have a good look at the airport and relax in the lounge
- Carry necessary medication
- If you have something prone to breaking in your luggage, have a fragile sticker on your luggage at the airport.
- Be on the last for boarding. This gives you a clear path to walk in, an easy way to tuck in your luggage, and also a great opportunity to ask for an upgrade, testing your luck.
- If you can, sit near the wings because it offers better photo opportunity and experience less turbulence.
- Carry your eye mask, pillow, and earplugs if you like sleeping in solitude
- In case of any queries, don’t hesitate to talk to the flight attendant. They are happy to help and assist you.
- Pre-order vegetarian option to eat. This would help you a lot
- If you feel a little turbulence, don’t panic too much. It’s normal.
- Try and sleep as much as possible so that you don’t get jet-lagged.
- Sync your watch with different time zones
- Don’t drink too much on the flight. You don’t want to be wasted once you reach.
After You Arrive at Your Destination
- Respect the airport and customs rules and abide by them.
- Learn basic phrases in the new language. It will make things better for you. Alternatively, you can download a translation app on your phone for better understanding.
- Be polite and have a smiling face. Don’t get annoyed if things are not easy.
- Keep your money and card safe.
- Use a local ATM to get cash
- Buy a local sim if you need to or make sure your current number can work internationally
- Say NO in case you are not sure of anything or if your gut doesn’t agree with it.
- Be aware of your surroundings and be cautious about pickpockets and scams
- Be open to making new friends and travelers in the new place. It sometimes forms the best of friendships. Don’t hesitate to start a conversation.
- Try and eat local food and cuisine
- Utilize ride-sharing apps for transportation like Uber, and LYFT.
- You can go a little out of your budget if you like something extravagant. It’s better to have it than regret it later. Remember, it’s all about creating memories at the end of the day.
- Be curious about the new place and be open to new experiences.
- If you by chance have a bad experience, don’t let it ruin your whole trip
- Don’t get lost. Take help from people, but be smart about it.
- Check-in with your family and friends back home constantly.
- Make a lot of trip memories. Click many pictures and videos.
- Enjoy alone company and dining all by yourself. It is very empowering and serene. It helps you fall in love with yourself amidst beautiful surroundings.
- Plan a day of relaxation in between all the places. Just sip on some good coffee or arrange for a massage session to pamper you.
After Finishing Your Travel Journey
- Use social media and blogging to share your experiences- good and bad. You can help many other people who are visiting the same place.
- Enjoy and look back to beautiful memories of a lifetime
Once you get a hang of these tips and hacks, traveling will be a breeze for you. Don’t forget to be in the moment and enjoy the amazing destination with a full heart. So, go on, plan your next trip, and look forward to exploring the wonders of the world.